Optimizing behaviour of Synaptics Clickpad on Sony Vaio Z13

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Jan 3 22:14:43 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 10:44:38AM +0100, Markus Ellinger wrote:
> Peter
>
> thanks for your helpful feedback!
>
> Am 03.01.2013 02:27, schrieb Peter Hutterer:
> >I suspect the cause for this is more the natural shape of your
> >finger. as you press down, the contact surface increases, and the
> >hotspot you get is somewhere in the middle. as you release, the
> >contact surface changes and you get the jump. I can see this here
> >and it's related to how hard you press before releasing. the
> >harder, the bigger the jump. there isn't really anything you can
> >tune in the settings for this particular behaviour. the hysteresis
> >options will help a bit, but hinder some smaller movement. really
> >what we need here is some pressure-based smoothening, to prevent
> >cursor jumps if the pressure changes.
>
> I now increased the pressure threshold. Just for the archives, I am
> using the following settings:
>
>         Option "FingerHigh" "55"
>         Option "FingerLow" "50"
>
> This is high enough to stabilize the mouse position on the end of
> mouse movements significantly. The downside is that I am missing an
> occassional click here when I tap to lightly.
>

> >you need http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/12707/
>
> Thanks, that's great. If this patch is added, will we still need to
> manually set a dead area on the buttons? Or is there a possibility
> to change the default config files so that if there are clickpad
> buttons, those are automatically marked as "dead area"?

no, I'd rather not make this a default. I'll add an example to the default
config file but people use their touchpads quite differently and we can't
tell. specifically, we configure the soft buttons to work as left/right on
non-apple clickpads but a user who enables tapping is less likely to use the
buttons. disabling the area for those users is a regression.

Cheers,
   Peter