xorg-server 1.13.1, - checksum post-mortem

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jan 4 04:48:35 PST 2013

On Friday 04 January 2013 07:41:56 Julien Cristau did opine:
Message additions Copyright Friday 04 January 2013 by Gene Heskett

> On Fri, Jan  4, 2013 at 09:38:02 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > is there any particular reason we're still generating gz and bzip2?
> > one should be enough, isn't it?
>
> I'm still using the gz tarballs, so I'd like to keep them if it's not
> too much trouble.
>
> Cheers,
> Julien

I'll 2nd that sentiment.  I have had several occasions where I downloaded
the bzip2 and had to go back and get the .gz because whole directory trees
were missing from the unpacked archive.  Once or twice I have pulled the
bzip2 a 2nd time, same md5sum, but the 2nd time unpacked well enough to
build.  A 2nd unpack of the first download was still defective.

In short, bzip2 has not been 100% trustworthy here.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Whenever someone tells you to take their advice, you can be pretty sure
that they're not using it.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...