Updating my Xorg on RHEL 6 etc

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Mon Jan 14 17:01:45 PST 2013

> >     Has anyone done this sort and thing AND written a blog somewhere
> about it ?
> >
> >    Just looking for pointers in the right direction, along with "be
> careful of .." type stuff.
>
> you can install a second X server from git (or anywhere) next to your
> existing one:
> http://who-t.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/testing-x-servers-from-git.html

Excellent, thank you.

> Obviously, for a production environment I recommend sticking to the
> Red Hat supported bits, especially since we keep it quite up-to-date anyway.

Well yes, my RHEL world is pretty stable ( I mean rock solid ) and I don't like to mess
with that, however I also like to test and do various little things without feeling restricted
by my OS vendor ( you know, Microsoft, Oracle etc ).   ;-)

I will most likely fire up a Debian box for this and see what the issues are with
this fancy NVidia Quadro card that RHEL says can not do 3-D acceleration.

Dennis