hald

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Jan 30 14:51:46 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 02:13:27PM -0800, Etienne Robillard wrote:
> why is hald required for running xserver?
>
> i noticed the 1.12.x version isn't requiring hald to run but when upgrading to 1.13.2,
> the mouse and keyboard lock up if hald isn't up.. Is thus --disable-config-hald advisable
> for running Xserver ?

HAL hasn't been required on linux since server 1.8 where we switched to
udev. If you disable hal you'll need to install the udev devel package to
make sure you have at least one config backend.

right now, I suspect that you disable HAL, udev isn't enabled so the server
simply doesn't detect your input devices.

Cheers,
   Peter