ANN: xinput-ui: a simple GUI program to configure MPX

Max E max at meliaserlow.dyndns.tv
Thu Jul 4 15:00:27 PDT 2013

Hi Peter,

On Thu, 2013-07-04 at 15:51 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> Hi Max,
> had a short play with it and it worked as expected. one thing I do have to
> caution you for is that the xinput commandline is not a stable API and may
> change at any time - breaking the script. You're much better off using
> proper XI2 calls in the backend. is there a python-xlib that's XI2
> capable?
>
> Cheers,
>    Peter

That is certainly a concern, and one I noted in the README.

It doesn't look like python-xlib has that capability just yet, although
I am actually seeing some recent commits to the project. I may ping
their mailing list and request it as a feature.

But for now, if I were to use the X API, I'd probably need to add a C
module, using some code adapted from the xinput utility itself. This is
certainly a possibility, but there isn't necessarily any reason for me
to do it until the command line output actually _does_ change. Another
thing that might make me reconsider is if I wanted to add the ability to
edit device properties, which I guess would make it a general-purpose
input configuration tool.

Like I said, the biggest gap in functionality right now is saving
settings permanently. Does MPX have a standard mechanism for keeping the
same configuration across reboots, or will I have to roll my own? That
might actually be another reason to use the X API directly.

-Max