Blurry Display (Panasonic TC-L42E60)

Steven Blatchford sblatchford at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 12:16:56 PDT 2013

>Your laptop screen is 1366x768, right?
Yes

>Swapping between that and 1920x1080 can be problematic.
I have been using the older 42" for the past six months without issue.
I was connected to it via a VGA cable.  I have tested HDMI to the older
42" and it works fine.

>Which DE are you running at what version?
I'm not using a DE, just a WM (dwm).

>What do Firefox or SeaMonkey report if you open
>http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/dpi-screen-window.html ? Does what either
>report make sense to you?

laptop - http://i1.minus.com/ibfQOuUqdCVVLo.png I measured the black box
and it is an inch.  Those numbers look correct to me.

42_old - http://i2.minus.com/iQUKGjZbRMiNz.png I measured the black box
and it is *not* an inch, it's 2".  The other numbers look correct to me.

>Does 'xrdb -query | grep dpi' report anything? If so, what?
I get no output from 'xrdb -query'

>Do xdpyinfo resolution and dpi match xrandr output?
$ xdpyinfo | grep -B1 resolution    # laptop
  dimensions:    1366x768 pixels (277x156 millimeters)
  resolution:    125x125 dots per inch

$ dtsteve:~/ xdpyinfo | grep -B1 resolution     # new 42"
  dimensions:    1920x1080 pixels (696x391 millimeters)
  resolution:    70x70 dots per inch

>Maybe you should upload Xorg.0.log from using each of the three
>displays so we can compare?
Here is my Xorg.0.log from yesterday -- http://sprunge.us/LNAT

I can work on compiling these three logs.  From a cold start, you want
me to
    - boot to X using the laptop and save the log
    - boot to X using the new 42" and save the log
    - boot to X using the old 42" and save the log

Is this right?

>The new TV may have defective EDID. Does its behavior change between
>connecting it after boot and X startup, or before?
Here is the EDID information connecting the HDMI cable after boot but
before running X:
get-edid | parse-edid -- http://sprunge.us/Jiig

I've never tried booting with the HDMI cable plugged in nor have I tried
running X and then plugging in the HDMI cable.  I can try those two
scenarios.  Before doing anything else, I'll wait for your direction.

Thanks a lot for digging into this for me, it's really appreciated.
-steve