xorg.conf: setting up scaled desktop ?

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Mon Mar 25 09:21:16 PDT 2013

On 03/25/2013 07:40 AM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> I've got this old projector that has 1366x768 native resolution,
> but will not correctly display VGA/computer signal at native resolution,
> and 1280p resolution has stupid overscan.
>
> The way how i solved this under windows with NVidias drivers is
> to output 1080p video signal, which the projector will accept, and
> then have a desktop resolution of 720p and configure underscan such
> that it will be quite accurately displayed 1:1 on the projector.
> This trick doesn't work natively with the NVidia drivers, instead
> i can only achieve this by display cloning, where VGA is the primary
> display set to 720p resolution, and then the video signal is cloned to
> the YUV connector set to 1080p  resolution.
>
> So, i was wondering if it is possible to configure something like this
> in Xorg. Even if this is also only possible by cloning and appropriately
> setting underscan.
>
> Any exampe configs with nvidia drivers for cloning and underscan ?

Hi Toerless,

Please direct questions about the NVIDIA graphics drivers to
linux-bugs at nvidia.com.

You should be able to achieve the sort of configuration you're looking
for by using a combination of the ViewPortIn and ViewPortOut attributes
described in the README:

http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/313.26/README/configtwinview.html#MetaModes

--
Aaron