SIGUSR1 to xinit

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Oct 27 18:10:35 CET 2013

On 10/25/13 08:05 AM, ksop at hot.ee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Apparently xserver does not signal the parent if ppid == 1. (Launch from init is assumed?)
>
> Excerpt from NotifyParentProcess() in ./os/connection.c:
>      if (RunFromSmartParent) {
>          if (ParentProcess > 1) {
>              kill(ParentProcess, SIGUSR1);
>          }
>      }
>
> This means startup is slow (a timeout) if xinit happens to be pid 1.
> On linux, this is the case when xinit is launched into a new PID namespace.
> Other than that, xinit will happily reap zombies ie be of some use.
>
> Suggested fix: s/1/0/.

Is there any way to tell when a new PID namespace is in use?  Because
if someone started the X server from inittab, killing init would be bad.

Either way, that would be #ifdef linux since I don't know of such support
in any other OS'es X runs on.

PS. Fix your mail headers to not send replies to "sokos at KLF.private"

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com