i915 issue. Need help!

Shen Chuan shen at minutekey.com
Mon Apr 21 08:19:18 PDT 2014

Hi Guys,
Sorry to bother. But we are really anxious to resolve this issue.

We're having a very weird problem with the i915 driver on Opensuse 13.1
and wanted to see if one of you Intel experts can point us in the right
direction. We're experiencing this issue on several hundred of our
machines, and we're dying for some troubleshooting help.
Here is the issue:
Randomly, our screen display will change to a solid color. It looks like
it takes what we think is the upper left pixel and display that color over
the entire screen. We can start a virtual x session into the screen and
still see the entire screen just fine, but our customer standing in front
of the screen can only see one color. If we reboot the PC everything comes
back as it should. However, if we just restart the X server it does not
fix the problem.
This occurs randomly, but we're seeing it 2x per day with 67 machines
running the same setup below. Interestingly, our machines running on a
later model Lenovo M71e do not experience this behavior, and I believe
that model has the Intel integrated HD Graphics 2000.

After some experimenting, it also has those behavior

1.  When we keep power to the display but power cycle the PC it DOES fix
the problem.
2.  When we keep power to the display and just restart X it DOES NOT fix
the issue.

Do you guys have this similar issue?

Thank you

Shen