Need help with M$ touchmouse

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Dec 5 09:12:09 PST 2014

On Friday 05 December 2014 08:57:50 Thomas Lübking did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Freitag, 5. Dezember 2014 03:43:44 CEST, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
>
> You might want to check whether there's a usable driver for your
> graphics chip provided by even that version of Ubuntu.
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas

About a 3 yo lower range (about $80 when I bought it) nvidia card, a
GForce 8400GS, using the nouveau driver. From a 3.16.0 kernel tree I
assume.

And I am not about to install the nvida drivers for the simple reason that
the install marries that driver to the kernel you are running, and
installing an updated kernel is subject to re-installing the system
because you can never get rid of enough of the older driver so the newer
driver will allow itself to be installed.  I spent about 3 days screwing
around trying to install an updated nvidia driver after building a newer
kernel, and managed to destroy the system & had to buy a new drive &
install from scratch.  When nvidia gets their head out of their ass and
quits that bull shit so one can update his kernel without a 3 day battle I
know I am going to lose, I might consider it. Until then the nouveau
driver will have to do.

NVidia I think, seems to make a quite usable video card, so I'll stick
with them.  I do wish the makers and vendors of their designs would spend
another dollar for their fans though.  This one is 2 years old & rattling
like a 40 yo 2CV on a rutted road.

So do the folks over at what is now AMD, they do make a decent product,
usually longer lasting, but Alex has yet to release a driver for one of
their cards until it is at least 2 years out of the supply lines and
unable to be purchased from any source.  Sure, they've released a newer
card, but its not compatible with the currently available drivers and its
as bad as dealing with an nvidia install to get rid of it.  Divorces are
way too costly  I don't need that pain, I have enough of that from my now
80yo and abused back.

Here is a rant about my experiences with ATI cards, about 8 of them over
the last 15 years in about that many machines (I have more than this
machine running here, there are, because my lathe and milling machine are
both CNC'd and running LinuxCNC, at minimum 3 boxes running 24/7) here:

Over the years Alex D.has promised me updated drivers for my ATI card (I
like to support the underdog else we'll have a market monopoly like M$ has
in the department stores) 5 or 6 times now, so that garden path, well
traveled and trodden solidly over the years, has been explored with around
$500 worth of ATI cards, none of which would ever work with anything but
the screen size crippled vesa driver.  Then, when ATI does throw code over
the fence, my now 2 year old card I bought because of that promise is too
old for the new drivers.

So I ask what cards the new driver does support, get a list, but newegg
hasn't had one of those in years.

So I'm sorry Alex and I know thats a marketing thing at ATI, but until you
can synchronize the linux code for the cards I can actually buy, no
further ATI cards will be considered for purchase. I keep thinking that
bullet hole in ATI's linux facing foot would heal, but until it does, ATI
is DITW for us looooong time linux users, 15 years for this one, who does
not allow a windows machine on the premises.

Sure, we aren't a majority of the computer users, but anyone who wants the
market WILL support the linux user at least as well as you support the
M$(spit) users. ATI has not.

/rant off.

Thank you Thomas.

Cheers, Gene Heskett