Need help with M$ touchmouse

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 14:01:56 PST 2014

On Freitag, 5. Dezember 2014 19:31:28 CEST, Gene Heskett wrote:

> (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
> (EE) [drm] failed to open device

See
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/TroubleShooting/#index1h3

From what I've read so far, I'd just bet that the updated kernel drm mismatches the XOrg driver.

> I reconfigured, built and installed a 3.16.0 kernel with the generic fbdev
added to the mix.
Again: this is NOT the kernel module, but the xorg driver.
You need to update XOrg (also for a new nouveau driver) or (actually) the entire distro.

Building XOrg is far less time consuming than back then, when X11 came as a blob, but it requires you to know what you need and also (likely) to update some toolchain elements.

I deleted most of the conversation, but since this is apparently not a production system: is there anything holding you back from just upgrading the distro version (resp. install a brand new one in parallel) to get a state-of-the-art SW stack?

Cheers,
Thomas