resetting server without loosing clients?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Feb 21 18:39:28 PST 2014

On 22/02/14 08:41, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Steven Feil wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to reset/restart the Xorg server without killing the
>> programs that are clients of the server?
> No.
>
>> Or possibily, is
>> there some a way will keep the clients alive (similar to nohup) and
>> allow me to reattach them to the server once it is restarted?
> You could use VNC, i.e. have the clients connect to Xvnc and have the
> real X server run the VNC viewer (in full-screen mode) as its sole
> client.
Or xpra ("screen for X"), or NX, in which case you don't need to run
full screen.
> The main downside is performance, as Xvnc uses software rendering and
> cannot take delegate rendering to the video hardware.
For games and such you can use VirtualGL (works for both VNC and xpra),
hardware video decoding will still be missing, but for everything else I
don't think you will ever notice the difference in rendering
performance: the network/local pixel forwarding and client rendering is
much more costly than that.

Antoine