java on GPU

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 16:57:27 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM, foxteladi <foxteladi at gmx.de> wrote:
> it will soon be possible with your win7 driver be Java-based applications on
> the GPU of the radeon series cards to perform.?

There is an effort underway by AMD together with Oracle to bring the
ability to the Java Virtual Machine (and its reference implementation,
OpenJDK) to make direct use of the GPU.

http://ubuntuxtreme.com/news/gpu-accelerated-java-by-amd-and-oracle/
http://seekingalpha.com/article/912961-amd-and-oracle-announce-gpu-accelerated-java-an-investment-opportunity
http://openjdk.java.net/projects/sumatra/

As far as I know the work is ongoing, with AMD devs regularly
contributing to OpenJDK

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/11/11/amd-charts-path-java-gpu/

But I believe this is not related at all to X.org.

FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell