Xorg not working on PPC

Geoff Down geoffdown at fastmail.net
Thu Jan 23 13:48:07 PST 2014

Hi Andreas
On Thu, Jan 23, 2014, at 08:48 PM, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> Hi,
>

> >   Depth:  32-bit Color
>
> Might want to restrict that to 16-bit, since I'd assume that to be a bit
> taxing given a semi-small 16MB VRAM amount.

 Where do I set that please? Are all these options in xorg.conf?

> That said, the lockup / garbled screen might perhaps be caused by AGP
> issues.
> On x86, AGP support often is provided by the intel-agp.ko module.
> If that module is not available (or perhaps a driver setting is provided
> to disable it),
> then driver operation falls back to PCI-only, which might improve
> reliability.

Is this relevant (I assume you clicked through to the logs)?
[   308.089] (WW) R128(0): Failed to read PCI ROM!
[   308.089] (WW) R128(0): Video BIOS not found!
[   308.089] (II) R128(0): Primary Display == Type 3
[   308.089] (WW) R128(0): Can't determine panel dimensions, and none
specified.
	Disabling programming of FP registers.

How do I set up PCI-only? System Profiler doesn't mention PCI in
connection with the Graphics card: there is nothing reported on the PCI
bus.

> Also, you should check whether Xorg reports DRI as enabled
> (and if so, try setting it to disabled, since that might be problematic
> too).

Is this what you mean?
[   308.492] (II) R128(0): [DRI] installation complete

That would be
'Disable dri'
in xorg.conf?

> In general, try disabling as many of the driver options that you can find
> in
>     man r128
> , to try to figure out which setting caused such problems.

Can you advise of a minimal config? Otherwise I'm apt to turn off
something that shouldn't be.

> And of course check Xorg.0.log file content for specifics of all the
> specific
> problem areas mentioned above, and more.

The specifics may well be there, but it's all Greek to me.

> So far, *not* very specific help, but it might just end up helping anyway
> :)
>
> HTH,
>
> Andreas Mohr

Much appreciated.