Multiseat hardware accelerated setup with one graphics card.

Floris jkfloris at dds.nl
Mon Jan 27 04:40:38 PST 2014

Op Mon, 27 Jan 2014 04:15:57 +0100 schreef ...
<offonoffoffonoff at gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> I am interested in making a multiseat gaming system with only one
> graphics card.  As of now, I have a two terminal system, >one of which
> is capable of playing games requiring opengl.  The other is just a web
> browser.  I just wanted to share what >I've done, what I'm thinking, and
> ask for input from those here who know more than me.
>
> PROBLEM:
> Multiseat set ups on only one graphics card must rely on Xephyr, which
> does not do hardware accelerated opengl (not sure if >this is true),
> thus games will not run through Xephyr.
>
> SOLUTION:
> Use xorg.conf to set up two distinct screens.
An other way is to use Gnome 3.8> with systemd204> As long as you use open
drivers it works
see:
http://code.lexarcana.com/blog/2012/06/17/simple-multiseat-setup-on-fedora-17/

I don't know if it works with only one card, but if #loginctl seat-status
seat0
shows two graphics devices, it should. (you can try with a live Fedora
version)

When you need proprietary drivers you can patch the xserver
see: http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2013-September/037946.html

good luck,

jkfloris