[Dell Vostro 3300] running bumblebee in Ubuntu 14.04 results in call trace in logs

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 10:54:55 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Sayantan Das <sayantan13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> As per the request from Ubuntu devs, I am reporting this issue in the
> xorg mailing list. Please see the details below
>
> [1.] One line summary of the problem:
>
> [Dell Vostro 3300] running bumblebee in Ubuntu 14.04 results in call
> trace in logs
>
> [2.] Full description of the problem/report:
> While booted into the newest mainline kernel- installing bumblebee and
> nvidia-331  results in call trace.

I'm not familiar with bumblebee, but I know that when you call the
acpi methods for hybrid laptops to enable/disable the dGPU, it
generates a pci hotplug event and the pciehp or acpihp driver will
attempt to unload the driver.  The acpihp driver was changed[1] to
ignore the event, but as far as I know the pciehp driver still needs
to be fixed.

[1] - http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=f244d8b623dae7a7bc695b0336f67729b95a9736

Alex