XKB symbols loaded but not overloaded

Gioele Barabucci gioele at svario.it
Fri Jul 11 12:53:00 PDT 2014

Hello,

I used `xkbcomp -w 10 -I. keymap/test :0` to load this keymap:

     default xkb_keymap "test" {
         xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev" };
         xkb_types     { include "complete" };
         xkb_compat    { include "complete" };
         xkb_symbols   { include "pc+us+test" };
     };

The `test` contains contains only these three lines:

     partial alphanumeric_keys
     xkb_symbols "latin" {
         key <ESC>  { [ Escape, A ] };
     };

The ESC key should generate an Escape, Shift-ESC should generate a "A".

The problem is that Shift-ESC still generates Escape (tested with xev). Why?

xkbcomp correctly detects that

     Warning:      Symbol map for key <ESC> redefined
                   Using last definition for conflicting fields

Why isn't the new definition picked up then?

Regards,

--
Gioele Barabucci <gioele at svario.it>