xorg-server-1.15.2, problems compiling `cvt'

Noel Hunt noel.hunt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 22:49:30 PDT 2014

I am building the above on Solaris 11.1 i386, and have
struck problems with `cvt'.

The final link fails with these errors:

Undefined            first referenced
 symbol                  in file
RegionBrokenData                    cvt-xf86cvt.o
LogMessage                          cvt-cvt.o
RegionEmptyData                     cvt-xf86cvt.o
_dixGetScreenPrivateKey             cvt-cvt.o
_CallCallbacks                      cvt-cvt.o
RegionEmptyBox                      cvt-xf86cvt.o
ld: fatal: symbol referencing errors. No output written to cvt

These errors are produced by static inline functions
in some include files, for example:

extern _X_EXPORT BoxRec RegionEmptyBox;
extern _X_EXPORT RegDataRec RegionEmptyData;
extern _X_EXPORT RegDataRec RegionBrokenData;
 . . . .
/* not a region */

static inline Bool
RegionNar(RegionPtr reg)
{
    return ((reg)->data == &RegionBrokenData);
}

(_X_EXPORT is defined to be `__global')

These static inline functions are not used by `cvt'
but it is compiled by including most of the xfree86
include files which would seem to be unnecessary, but
I don't know how to fix this. I am using the Solaris
Studio compiler. I tried to switch to gcc to see what
it would do and this just caused more problems
elsewhere in the build, so I gave up on that.

Is there some problem with `visibility' here? Or
should `cvt' be linked against some extra libraries?

Noel Hunt