xkill Safety

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 09:58:50 PDT 2014

On Freitag, 25. Juli 2014 15:33:34 CEST, Maxwell Anselm wrote:

> What's the deal? Are we doing something really stupid without realizing it,
> or is xkill's man page exaggerating the safety risk?

Depending on the usecase you may want to use wmctrl/xdotool to close all windows (to give the clients the opportunity to intercept those requests for some final actions) instead of terminating clients directly.

Calling "xkill -all" is of course dangerous, since you call all X clients - you do rather not want to cause this accidentally.

The xkill manpage also states: "This program is very dangerous" ;-)

Cheers,
Thomas