RADEON(0): [drm] Failed to open DRM device: No such file or directory error

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Mon Mar 10 20:16:15 PDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 08:23 -0700, StompDagger1 at yahoo.com wrote:

> >On Monday, March 10, 2014 5:58 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net>
> wrote:

> >'No such file or directory' sounds like something is deleting
> >your /dev/dri/card* files, or not creating them in the first place.
> >Maybe check your udev setup.
> >
> >If it only happens with a 3.13 kernel but not with a 3.12 one,
> another
> >option is to bisect the kernel.
>
> Greetings Michel,
>
> dri node do exists, see:
> dagg at NCC-5001-D ~ $ ll /dev/dri
> total 0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 226,  0 Mar 10 09:27 card0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 226,  1 Mar 10 09:27 card1
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 226,  2 Mar 10 09:27 card2
> crw-rw----  1 root video 226, 64 Mar 10 09:27 controlD64
> crw-rw----  1 root video 226, 65 Mar 10 09:27 controlD65
> crw-rw----  1 root video 226, 66 Mar 10 09:27 controlD66
>
> I think that the way to find the cause on my part is to check the
> origin of that msg in Xorg.log.
>
> is that a xserver msg or xf86-video-ati msg?

The message is from the radeon driver, but it's because drmOpen() in
libdrm fails. It would indeed be interesting to track down where the 'No
such file or directory' error originates from.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast          |                Mesa and X developer