[Mesa-dev] Interested in contributing to WGL support in Waffle Project, for GSoC 2014

Chad Versace chad.versace at linux.intel.com
Tue Mar 11 15:11:53 PDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 04:20:41PM +0000, Jordan Justen wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Vidudaya Bandara <vnbandara at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'm Vidudaya Neranjan Bandara , Currently I'm an undergraduate from
> > University of Moratuwa , Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Sri
> > Lanka. I'm very much interested in open source software development and
> > thought to contribute to the society because I know the value of it.
> > I would really like to contribute to the project of  WGL support in Waffle .
> >
> > Since there is less information in the GSoC 2014 Idea page, can anyone give
> > me some introduction/description to begin.
>
> Waffle is a library that helps an application initialize OpenGL. The
> web-page for the project is at:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~chadversary/waffle/
>
> A very simple application that uses waffle is in the waffle source tree:
> https://github.com/waffle-gl/waffle/blob/master/examples/gl_basic.c
>
> Currently Waffle works on Linux, Mac and android, but it does not yet
> work with Windows.
>
> The piglit OpenGL test suite also uses Waffle. One of the mail goals
> for Waffle support on Windows is to allow piglit to also use Waffle on
> Windows.
>
> I updated the http://www.x.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas/ wiki page with
> some possible sub-goals for this task.
>
> -Jordan
>
> > It will really help me to get some idea about the environment and this
> > project. And It will help me to create an effective project proposal as
> > well.
> >
> > thanks and regards,
> > Vidudaya

Vidudaya, I just want to say that I think adding WGL support to Waffle
is a good choice for a summer of code project. Waffle is a very small
project, which should make it easy to quickly become familiar with the
code base. And the task to add WGL support is closed-ended and has small
scope, unlike some other open-ended summer of code projects. And, as
long as your mentor is fluent in WGL, then there will likely be no big
unknowns in your project.

I would offer to mentor, but I know nothing about programming in
a Windows environment.

I hope you succeed in finding a mentor and your GSoc application gets
accepted.