Xserver SEGFAULT - touchscreen related

Wolfgang Draxinger wdraxinger.maillist at draxit.de
Tue Mar 25 05:28:19 PDT 2014

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:11:46 +1000
Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 02:17:29PM +0100, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> > I have a case of Xserver crashing. I believe it's related to a
> > touchscreen.
>
> is this easily reproducible? if so, please file a bug for it, assign
> it to me. record your device with evemu-record and attach a recording
> that crashed the server. This may be triggered by the device in
> question here.
>
> Cheers,
>    Peter

I just want to chime in (and I just remembered it reading this thread),
that I have a similar issue at my workstation at work (I'm on vacation
right now, so I can't provide logs immediately, you'll have to wait for
a week or so).

I observed crashes of the X server if I had a configuration in
xorg.conf.d that would automatically set the touchscreen into
"floating" mode by default.

The X server used to crash when attaching the touch device, i.e.
un-float it from its default configuration.

However starting the device attached and floating it with xinput, then
reattaching it would not cause a problem.

When I had this issue I was in a hurry to workaround it^1 and then
forgot to report it.

I'll try (if I can still reproduce it) to get logs from it next week.

Cheers,

Wolfgang

[1]: i.e. in the X startup scripts of the display manager use the xinput
tool to float it.