xf86-input-synaptics configuration for ThinkPad T440p

Thilo-Alexander Ginkel thilo at ginkel.com
Fri Sep 5 02:17:21 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 2:19 AM, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 04:06:26PM +0200, Thilo-Alexander Ginkel wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 8:37 AM, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > try: Option "TouchpadOff" "1"
> > >  in addition to your software button configuration
> > >

> > Unfortunately, this does not result in any changed touchpad behavior.
>
> there's nothing overriding your config in your desktop environment? check
> with synclient if the property is still set. Does it show up in your
> xorg.log?

No, disabling the touch feature wasn't the problem, but configuring the
virtual buttons not to span the complete clickpad height. I also
uninstalled the KDE synaptics integration to make sure none of the settings
are inadvertedly overwritten.

> once that's set any motion should be ignored, at which point only the
> software buttons take effect. which is what you want, I think.

It is, but that's also achieved by setting AreaBottomEdge=1.

> if it doesn't work it's likely a bug, any help debugging this would be
> appreciated.

After some further experimentation I came up with a working config. It
seems that the clickpad dimensions are reported incorrectly so the
percentage-based configuration does not work correctly.

My Xorg.0.log reports:
[    14.664] (--) synaptics: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: x-axis range 1472
- 5112 (res 42)
[    14.664] (--) synaptics: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: y-axis range 1408
- 3834 (res 42)

But using evtest I empirically determined different dimensions, which are
present in my current config:

  1 Section "InputClass"
  2     Identifier "T440p touchpad w/o cursor movement"
  3     MatchDriver "synaptics"
  4     Option "SoftButtonAreas" "3800 0 0 2500 2600 3800 0 2500"
  5     Option "TouchPadOff" "1"
  6     Option "AreaBottomEdge" "1"
  7
  8     Option "LeftEdge" "1024"
  9     Option "RightEdge" "5110"
 10     Option "TopEdge" "2048"
 11     Option "BottomEdge" "5000"
 12 EndSection

I remember having read something about incorrect dimension reports by the
Linux kernel, but I am currently running 3.17-rc2 and would have expected
this to be fixed already in that release.

How can I further help debugging this issue?

Thanks,
Thilo