Files Section in xorg.conf.d revisited

Ingo Krabbe ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 03:35:04 PST 2015

Hi,

in 2011 there was a thread mentioning the same problem

	http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2011-February/thread.html#52308

, but there was no answer to the problem and the problem still exists. There's even some Software, that fails to work, due to this problem:

	# eselect opengl set nvidia

from gentoo, writes a file

	/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20opengl.conf

that sets a new ModulePath for the libglx.so extension installed by the nvidia-drivers. (Just for example).

But at least with the installed X.Org Version 1.16.3 this module path is not used, if there is a

	Section "Files"
	EndSection

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

[  6702.866] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

without this empty Section "Files":

[  6822.381] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/extensions/libglx.so

. I would assume this is a bug, as without changing any ModulePath in any configuration file, the ModulePath is wrong. But ModulePath should evaluate as a list of all ModulePath settings found in "any" Files section in "any" loaded configuration files.

I don't know why the ModulePath is affected by an empty Section "Files" at all and I don't think it should. An empty Section should be a noop.

regards ingo