non-clipped child windows

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Mon Jul 6 08:50:43 PDT 2015

On 2015-07-04 06:46, Cosmin Apreutesei wrote:
> Does X have the notion of non-clipped child windows? The behavior in
> WIndows and OSX for these is:
>
> 1) the parent always stays behind its children
> 2) the children are closed automatically when the parent is closed
> 3) the children follow the parent when moving
>
> If the answer is no, then I can emulate 2 and 3 but how about 1?

1) is usually implied by the WM_TRANSIENT_FOR property, although it can
vary depending on window manager.

2) WM_TRANSIENT_FOR will minimize transient windows when their parent is
minimized. I don't think the spec says anything about closing.

3) you will probably have to emulate 3.

http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xorg-docs/icccm/icccm.html#WM_TRANSIENT_FOR_Property

http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/latest/ar01s09.html#STACKINGORDER

Peter Harris