ctrl-alt-2 as at (@)

Knut Olav Bøhmer bohmer at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 03:55:55 PDT 2015

Hi,

I have a USB keyboard with a special "@" button that sends ctrl-alt-2 when
pressed.
I have been unable to configure xorg to use this button as an @, and I
can't find anyone who know how to do this.

My workaround is to make a keyboard shortcut in the window-manager to run
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text @" when ctrl-alt-2 is pressed.
I have not tested it in a production environment, but it works on my
computer.

I would also like to learn how to do this the proper way to do it. It is
embarrassing that I have run linux for over 20 years, and still can not
configure a keyboard. People makes fun of me :(

I tried to do it with: xmodmap -e  "add mod3 = Alt_L Control_L"; but that
does not make mod3 in to a combination of Alt_L and Control_L as far as I
understand. It only maps Alt_L to mod3 and Control_L to mod3. I was able to
do this in the console by creating a file with dumpkeys and adding "control
alt keycode   3 = at" then loading it with loadkeys.

I was hoping it would be possible to do something similar with xorg.

This is the keyboard:
http://www.tastaturen.com/ergebnis.lasso?-session=shop:42F941961dfbe2AB4DjsnH32421E&kn=2504&vo=p&lng2=e

Best regards
--