unset Xft.dpi how?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 11 02:40:50 PDT 2015

Thomas Lübking composed on 2015-10-11 09:38 (UTC+0200):

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Can anyone tell me how to globally unset Xft.dpi, particularly on an
>> installation that does not set Xft.dpi via /etc/X11/Xresources, e.g. on
>> Linuxmint Cinnamon?

> Override:
> echo "Xft.dpi: 123" | xrdb -override

This would/should substitute 123 DPI for 96 DPI, correct?

> Remove (you need to reload the entire database)
> xrdb -query | grep -v Xft.dpi | xrdb -load

> This reads out the current database, strips every line containing "Xft.dpi" and loads the result as new database.

This looks like should be what I'm after, but putting it above '.
/etc/X11/Xsession' in Mint 17.2's /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc has no apparent
effect on cinnamon-session. Using the following ~/.xinitrc doesn't produce
any apparent effect either:

	#!/usr/bin/env bash
	xrdb -query | grep -v Xft.dpi | xrdb -load &
	export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
	export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
	export LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8"
	export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
	exec cinnamon-session

> xrdb -remove wipes *everything*.

Also no effect on cinnamon via /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.

> Whether and where Xft.dpi is set (KDE font config kcm enforcing a resolution?) by your distro, i don't know either - sorry.

I've got resolution control under control. :-)

My query didn't make clear that there were really two questions, and failed
to mention that no version of Gnome is ever used here.

The obvious question looks like has what should be a good answer that doesn't
as yet work for me in Mint, I'm guessing because it hasn't yet been put
wherever it needs to be put.

The less obvious question is, precisely where to apply or include (aka "put")
any of these xrdb commands. Distros don't all configure and start X in the
same manner. In openSUSE it's sufficient to use DisplaySize in xorg.conf* or
run xrandr from some script in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ to achieve a desired
DPI. In Mageia and Fedora, the additional step (using the xrandr method) of
commenting away the Xft.dpi line in /etc/X11/Xresources is necessary (and in
Mageia, the script goes in /etc/X11/xinit.d/). Wheezy and Utopic Kubuntu
(with kscreen disabled) are much like openSUSE - Xft.dpi is not set, while
the xrandr script works in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ (/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/
doesn't exist in Wheezy), which doesn't exist in openSUSE.

Is it possible Cinnamon is like Gnome and carves Xft.dpi to 96 in stone,
epoxy or .so?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/