modesetting Driver Not (Re)Loaded

David Narvaez david.narvaez at computer.org
Thu Sep 10 21:22:03 PDT 2015

Hi,

I have Xorg server 1.16.4 from Gentoo and I am having the following
problem, which I would say is related to the fact that modesetting
driver is now part of the server:

I have a displaylink display that I used to plug and then do

$ xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 1 0

to have it added as a displaly. At that point, I woult see a
mode-setting provider when issuing

$ xrandr --listproviders

Now the behavior is that I plug the external display and
--listproviders does not list mode-setting, just my Intel provider, so
the --setprovideroutputsource command does not work. I see, when
looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log that the modesetting driver is loaded
and then unloaded:

david at Tiger ~ $ grep modesetting /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[    29.388] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 2
[    29.720] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[    29.810] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so
[    29.821] (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    29.838] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
[    29.859] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[    29.876] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[    29.876] (II) Unloading modesetting

But this all happens well before I plug my display. Moreover, when I
reload the X server with the displaylink display connected, the
modesetting driver sticks around and the --setprovideroutputsource
command works as expected.

So my question is how to fix this: is this supposed to happen? if so,
how can I tell the Xorg server to reload the drivers without
restarting it?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

David E. Narvaez