display/GFX issue with Ubuntu 16.04 not seen in 14.04

Christopher Barry christopher.barry at earborg.com
Tue Aug 23 14:33:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 06:53:13 -0400
Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:

>On 08/19/2016 10:17 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> Not having much luck with the Distro forums on this issue so I
>> thought I'd ask for advice here.
>>
>> I've been running Ubuntu 14.04.5 for some time on Intel Core i5 GFX
>> without any issues.  My display is HDMI from the PC to an Onkyo A/V
>> receiver then to a Sony KDL-XBR6.
>>
>> When I try a fresh install of 16.04.1, I get a display that blanks
>> out for 3-5 seconds at random times depending on what is being
>> displayed at the time.  I also have small abouts of video noise that
>> is random horizontal lines about 1 pixel tall scattered through the
>> page.
>>
>> I noticed that 14.04.05 uses X server 1.17.2 and 16.04.1 uses 1.18.3.
>>
>> When I do the command xrandr --verbose I see some small differences
>> between 14.04 and 16.04, but it's things like 2 digits displayed
>> instead of 1.  i.e. 60.0 vs. 60.00. I'm only concerned with 1080P HD.
>>
>> I've tried this on different computers all with Intel GFX. same
>> results.
>>
>> This does not occur on other monitors or TVs.
>>
>> I'd blame it on Sony and Onkyo if they didn't work so well with
>> Windows, all versions, and ubuntu all versions except 16.04.
>>
>> It's almost like the auto detection software in the newest version
>> of X is off just enough to make my display flaky.  Kind of like the
>> old analog CRT TVs that were sensitive to small tweaks to the
>> horizontal and vertical adjustments.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

>Can someone let me know where I can ask questions regarding problems
>with X??  I thought this forum would be the place?
>
>Jim A

Jim,

From the data above, I do not think it's possible to troubleshoot very
effectively. It also seems like (to me anyway) that you have a fairly
non-standard kind of configuration going on.

If I understand it, you have a media-center type PC with an integrated
Intel graphics card on an core i5 processor. Using an HDMI cable, you're
plugging into an Onkyo A/V receiver (you do not mention the model),
which in turn connects to a Sony KDL-XBR6 LCD TV.

What happens when you connect your PC to a the Sony directly or to
a normal PC LCD monitor? Does that work?

Are you using an xorg configuration file, or are you allowing automatic
setup via kernel mode switching? If you a have config file(s), what
happens when you move them out of the way temporarily and allow
automatic config?

What's in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

People here help quite readily if they have data to act upon.

--
Regards,
Christopher Barry