Help - want to uninstall X11 - Quartz

Diane Chan chankirtan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 08:54:18 UTC 2016

Today downloaded XQuartz 2.7.11 and installed on OS X Sierra after prompting from my old version of CrossOver. How can I uninstall? I suspect it has interfered with the computer’s ability to establish network connection. Please help. I’m not the most savvy computer user. :(  The FAQ (https://www.xquartz.org/FAQs.html <https://www.xquartz.org/FAQs.html>) gives instructions how to uninstall using Terminal commands, but these seem to be tailored to Leopard. Are they also applicable to Sierra?

These are the instructions I’m referring to:

Uninstall (Snow Leopard or Later)
XQuartz does not replace the system X11 on Snow Leopard, so you can go back to the Apple-provided X11.app rather easily. Just launch X11.app rather than XQuartz.app to get the older server. If you want to make Apple’s X11.app the default server (owning the launchd $DISPLAY socket), then you should disable the org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist as described in the first question <https://www.xquartz.org/FAQs.html#dont-like-launchd-automatically-setting-up-display-for-you>. After logging out and back in, Apple’s X11.app will be default. If you still want to remove XQuartz.app from your system, you can do that with these two steps:
launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist
sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx.plist
sudo rm -rf /opt/X11* /Library/Launch*/org.macosforge.xquartz.* /Applications/Utilities/XQuartz.app /etc/*paths.d/*XQuartz
sudo pkgutil --forget org.macosforge.xquartz.pkg