XKbell and XkbBell

Pascual Castellón p.castellon at cadt.com
Mon Jul 11 16:11:05 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm not sure from which xorg version, I found the XBell function stopped
to work. Theorically it might make a noise using the PC speaker that I
could customize using the XChangeKeyboardControl.
But it seems from Centos 6 and Centos 7 releases it is not working
anymore. Instead, 'pulseaudio' seems to be making always the same sound,
not using the speaker anymore.
I've removed pulseaudio-module-x11.x86_64 but is still no working.

I cannot get different sounds using XChangeKeyboardControl. It is always
using the same noise. I would like to have different frequency sounds
made with the PC speaker. Can you help me with this issue?

Best regards.

Following a piece of code I would like to make it work

   /* backup old values */
   XKeyboardControl kctl;
   XKeyboardState   values_return;
   XGetKeyboardControl(display, &values_return);

   /* ring bell with pitch=f and duration=d */
   kctl.bell_pitch    = f;
   kctl.bell_duration = d;
   XChangeKeyboardControl(display, KBBellPitch|KBBellDuration,&kctl);
   //XBell(display,bell); This is not working inn Centos 6 o 7
   XkbBell(display,window,bell,(Atom)NULL); // This is not working
either
   XFlush(display);

   /* restore old values */
   kctl.bell_pitch    = values_return.bell_pitch;
   kctl.bell_duration = values_return.bell_duration;
   XChangeKeyboardControl(display, KBBellPitch|KBBellDuration,&kctl);
   XFlush(display);

Thank you in advance.

--
Pasqual Castellón