Flickering single display in multi-head XRandR setup

Andreas Mohr andi at lisas.de
Fri Mar 25 11:19:44 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 11:03:36AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Thank you for taking your time to reply. I've since followed up
> having found the problem, and I think it must be one of the DP ports
> on the graphics card.

Ooook.

> Now, you write:
>
> > Perhaps unthinkable, but the connectors of the card might be
> > implemented / wired up asymmetrically, e.g. due to an ickily
> > varying length of traces, or EMI issues.
>
> This leads me to believe that the connector hardware itself could be
> at fault. Seriously, is DP *that* finicky and subject to connection
> failures? I'd have thought that it being 2016, the industry would
> have finally gotten the hang of it, especially after screwing up
> HDMI so badly.

Hmm, I was writing that focussing on PCB-side implementation etc.,
but of course mechanical connection issues (including soldering issues)
likely are more dominant (when doing failure diagnosis,
one likely should focus on more "mechanical" / electro-physical parts
such as connectors, fuses, capacitors, transformers, ... initially,
since these are much more prone to failure
due to their inherent wear and tear - movement, thermo-related etc.).

Nice to hear that this seems nailed now.

Andreas Mohr