Flickering single display in multi-head XRandR setup

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Mar 25 19:55:44 UTC 2016

On Friday 25 March 2016 13:23:52 Felix Miata wrote:

> Gene Heskett composed on 2016-03-25 09:29 (UTC-0400):
> > the U.S. industry, since General Cement is gone, cannot sell me a
> > tweezer-like soldering iron needed to remove them so fresh ones can
> > be put in their place.  And even the GC iron sold 20+ years ago had
> > to be run on a powerstat set for as low as 60 volts else it ran so
> > hot it destroyed the board.
>
> http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TENMA-21-8230-/21-8230 wouldn't
> do it?

Possibly, that looks a lot like the one I used (handles are identical)
back in the later 90's but with different tips.  Two problems, the major
one being that it STILL has a 2 wire line cord, so no static grounding
and the heater barrels are some sort of metal that isn't conducive to
making a good electrical ground connection to, and it needs to be run on
a small powerstat so you can turn the voltage down to the 60-65 range
otherwise its way the hell and gone too hot 4 or 5 minutes after you
turn it on, and when doing the caps in a DVC-pro vcr, it will be on for
at least 6 hours of the working day.  Even then, I found it hot enough
to cause the pencil eraser sized caps to explode as I was removing them.
The copper tips are always annealed and very easily bend as you compress
that spring to bring the tips to a spacing suitable for warming both
side contacts, and that 20 thousandths of bend puts the tips in full
contact with the sides of the caps & they pop about like Orville
Redenbauchers finest.

But as usual, it was the best we had at the time, so when in Rome...

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)