Question about X on the arm's.

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Nov 28 00:29:14 UTC 2016

On Friday 25 November 2016 12:32:22 Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> On 11/21/16 02:41 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I am assuming the X built for it is single threaded, and it could be
> > made more pleasant to use if it scattered its jobs about the 4 cores
> > in the typical arm cpu.
> >
> > Is there a build switch that could accomplish this?
>
> No - making the X server fully multi-threaded would be a major
> rewrite, not just flipping a build switch.   Past attempts to do so
> weren't very successful, as they all ended up bottlenecking on the
> write lock to the frame buffer.   Instead things like input processing
> (previously done via asynchronous signal handlers) have been moved to
> other threads, and a lot of graphics rendering has effectively moved
> to other threads by virtue of doing it in client processes instead of
> in the X server itself.

Okay Alan, I've had 3 or 4 folks over the last 36 hours claim that X is
its own forwarding agent, why am I even using ssh? saying I'm not
needing ssh at all.

So, where can I find the definitive tut on doing this because our
attempts are failing?  What I was able to find on the xorg web pages
last night was up to 3 major versions out of date.  I need a tut that
deals with X11R7 and up.  Is there such a thing?  My google-fu is
failing me.

Thanks Alan.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)