Bug (?) in compose

Ilya Anfimov ilan at tzirechnoy.com
Sat Oct 1 08:46:59 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 08:33:53AM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 09/30/16 08:32 AM, Clock Source wrote:
> >On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 18:24:15 +0300
> >Ilya Anfimov <ilan at tzirechnoy.com> wrote:
> >

> >> And how do you try to print that characters?
> >>
> >> (I could also note, that xev output is exactly that
> >>is expected when typing that composed sequences)
> >
> >I print Compose + symbols in X-applications, such as
> >leafpad/browser/mail client/libreoffice etc...
> >
> >...and copypaste with "missing" symbols works perfectly even in
> >cleartext applications (leafpad and similar)
>
> Note that some toolkits such as GTK use their own input handling and
> their own Compose key tables, not the Xlib ones.

 Confirming: all gtk2 apps silently skips ff ligature.

 Xaw, tcl/tk, Qt, gtk3 are fine.
 Strange  situtation with libreoffice: apparently the same libre-
office 4.3.3.2, Build ID 430m0(Build:  2),  from  debian  Jessie,
package    Installed:  1:4.3.3-2+deb8u5,  works from one computer
and skips ff from the other, on the same X server.
 links browser skips ff, but it apparently does not  have  it  in
it's font (answer from Xutf8LookupString is fine).

 Promille is fine in all of the above, including gtk2 apps.

 Motif  and  xforms  shows  german  ss ligature, but emits single
(last entered) f instead of ff ligature and single (last entered)
o instead of promille ligature.