Adding an xserver to xorg.conf?

Simon Roberts simon at dancingcloudservices.com
Sun Oct 30 23:13:43 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I want to add an external XServer (running on a tablet device as it
happens, though I doubt that's significant) to the configuration of my
windowing system, and hopefully have it visible to xrandr, so I can use it
as another display alongside my regular laptop screen.

I assume that I'd need to add, for example, 192.168.2.44:0 into my
xorg.conf, but I'm drawing a complete blank on how I might achieve this.

Can anyone guide me? Or should I be pursuing some other path to make this
happen, and if so, can anyone point me at that?

As a side note, I'm already running my laptop's main screen and perhaps two
more external displays, VGA1 and HDMI1, which I'm configuring and
positioning via xrandr, I just need this additional one as an option in a
rather unpredictable mix that get's worked out on the fly when I arrive at
a place I need to make a presentation, and finally discover what, if any
second screen they can offer me to run mirroring a projector.

Any input very gratefully received.
Cheers,
Simon

--