proper release of edid-decode with versioning, proper changelog etc.

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 21:14:03 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 3:37 PM, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please CC me if somebody answers, thank you.
>
> I filed a bug to update edid-decode in debian. See
> https://bugs.debian.org/839152
>
> The answer I was given by the maintainer is as follows -
>
> <andrew>I'm not sure putting git-generated ChangeLog is in any way
> beneficial to the users. I think it's better to talk to upstream to
> convince them to
> do proper releases and release notes/changelogs. </andrew>

edid-decode is a developer tool that works standalone without
dependencies (or reverse ones) and wouldn't benefit much from proper
releases. As you can see in the changelog, changes are very
incremental and there are likely no reason to keep "users" at a
certain version instead of just using the latest code. Releases could
nudge downstream packagers to update their packages though...

The Debian maintainer should just make a snapshot release from time to
time, and whenever the code hasn't been worked on for a while, is
probably a good time to pick.

The git log is in the case of edid-decode a pretty good changelog. I
don't think anybody cares enough to spend time on making a shorter
version.

I don't know why the Debian maintainer refuses to add a git log, which
would be better than nothing. Maybe he is overloaded (60+ packages)
and focuses on more critical packages. Luckily, it is easy to
contribute to Debian. If you attach a debdiff or patch to your bug
report, he would be pretty stubborn to not accept it.

Of course, I am sure anyone is welcome to prepare an x.org edid-decode
release too :)

> From the nature of the git page, it's not easy to have any idea as to
> when there is possibility of having a versioning and a proper release
> as such.

I think edid-decode never had a version or release and there is no
plan for it, although I can't speak for the developers.

Regards,
Tormod