X is consuming ~100 GiB of RAM(!)

Jose R R Jose.r.r at metztli-it.com
Wed Dec 6 03:36:20 UTC 2017

Niltze [Hello], Ewen-

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Ewen Chan <chan.ewen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I could try that.
>
> I will have to do quite a bit of research to figure out how though, but ok.
As long as you properly fulfill dependencies, Xorg devs script can
fetch the source and build it for your system.
< https://www.x.org/wiki/Building_the_X_Window_System/#index9h3 >

You must adjust paths to the location of your newly built Xorg binaries.

On the other hand if you have a subscription to SuSE enterprise, they
may provide you with solution(s).

> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 7:36 PM, Hi-Angel <hiangel999 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 6 December 2017 at 02:36, Vladimir Dergachev <volodya at mindspring.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Also, given the the high usage does not happen outside of gnome session,
>> > perhaps this is connected to compositing..
>>
>> There're 2 mails which didn't get yet into the ML because they contain
>> a screenshot, and mailman complained about a suspiciously big size,
>> and sent them to moderation. The TL;DR is that Xorg takes 100GB,
>> however xresttop shows only a few dozens of MBs. Per my understanding
>> this means that Xorg does not hold a memory allocated for some client,
>> but rather have an actual memory leak. So I recommended trying latest
>> Xorg, and reporting a bug if it doesn't help.

Best Professional Regards.

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it