X is consuming ~100 GiB of RAM(!)

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Dec 7 10:51:51 UTC 2017

[ Dropping xorg at freedesktop.org from Cc, one copy of each list post is
enough :) ]

On 2017-12-07 05:39 AM, Hi-Angel wrote:

> You know, btw, another silly idea: if blacklisting the driver will
> help, but you actually care of graphics performance — you could try
> enabling it back, and then installing modesetting driver, and
> forcing Xorg to use it through a xorg.conf.

The modesetting driver only works with a KMS kernel driver. Ewen
currently cannot be using a KMS kernel driver, otherwise the Xorg mga
driver couldn't work. If he was using a KMS kernel driver, Xorg would
automatically use the modesetting driver.

> Per my understanding the leak could specifically be in Matrox DDX
> driver — if this is the case, by replacing it with modesetting DDX
> you'd keep the performance and get rid of leaks. "modesetting" is a
> vendor-neutral DDX driver which is implemented on top of whatever
> driver provides OpenGL functional.

The modesetting driver can only provide hardware acceleration via
glamor, which requires decent EGL and OpenGL support, which is unlikely
to exist for this GPU.