Middle button emulation...

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Jul 3 03:04:37 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 01, 2017 at 06:48:50PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Sat, 01 Jul 2017 15:16:32 +0200 "Ralf Mattes" <rm at mh-freiburg.de> wrote:
>

> > Am Samstag, 01. Juli 2017 15:00 CEST, "Ralf Mattes" <rm at mh-freiburg.de>=
> >  schrieb:
> >

> > > [...]>
> > > You could put something loike that (most likely you dont' have a PS/2=
> >  mouse :-)
> > > into /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/my-mouse.conf
> >
> > If you don't want to wite a configutation file you can also do this wit=
> > h xinput:
> >
> >  # Find your pointing device
> >  xinput list
> >
> >  # find all configurable options of that device
> >  xinput list-props <your-device-id>
> >
> >  # switch in middle button emulation
> >  xinput set-prop <your-device-id> "Evdev Middle Button Emulation" 1

fwiw, you can use the device name in quotes instead of the device id.

> >  HTH, Ralf Mattes
>
> The prop name was different, but this worked.  I could not figure out what to
> say for "Option" in the config file. so I gave up on that.

If you're using the libinput driver, you need to use the libinput-specific
property - which is prefixed with 'libinput' instead of 'Evdev'. So I
suspect you changed "libinput Middle Emulation Enabled"

> There is some serious lack of documentation here.

both the property and the option are documented in the driver's man page,
man 4 libinput

> Or else there does not seem
> to be any way to specify this in the confguration files.  I wonder if I should
> file a bug report somewhere (is there a bugzilla.xorg.org or something like
> that?).

bugs.freedesktop.org is our bugzilla, for next time.

Cheers,
   Peter