RandR 1.5 "Monitors" and splitting a single physical display

Nathan Schulte nmschulte at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 18:32:47 UTC 2017

On 03/07/2017 05:56 PM, Jack Coulter wrote:
> Is it possible for there to be multiple monitors for a single output, at
> least as far as the RandR protocol is concerned, and is support simply
> needed in xrandr, or is what I'm trying to do simply not possible?

I wonder the same; I'm looking to split an Output as two Monitors, and
then rotate one of the Monitors.  I am using an active splitter, like
Jack is w/ the Matrox Dual Head 2 Go devices (I'm using a Sunix DPD2001,
with DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport disabled).

I ran into issues trying to do setup multiple Monitors for an Output,
and sent a mail to the list in September 2016; Aaron Plattner from
NVIDIA responded, noting about the "ConnectionNumber" property from the
xrandr --prop command.  The Intel hardware I'm using (Intel Skylake;
Iris Pro Graphics P580 [8086:193d] (rev 09).

The thread can be viewed here:

https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg/2016-September/058245.html

I had to give up at the time and still haven't had a chance to poke this
again.  I have a feeling this isn't supported, but I couldn't find
anything in the protocol/extension specifications stating so.  In fact,
the specs imply that it _is_ indeed possible.  Perhaps only certain
drivers provide this level of support?

Jack, let me know if you figure this out, please and thank you!

--
Nate