xterm: set mouse pointer type for ncurses

Thomas Dickey dickey at his.com
Tue May 23 01:23:58 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 02:30:31PM +0200, Tobias Girstmair wrote:
> First, thanks for all your replies.
>
> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 01:29:24PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 11:43:24AM +0200, Henrik Pauli wrote:
> > > I know you said it's a bit off-topic here, but I noticed something and thought
> > > it might be related to Tobias's question.  In Konsole (and also in
> > > mate-terminal), if I open mc (which I think is an ncurses application), the
> > > mouse pointer changes to arrow (from the normal I-beam thing); however it does
> > > not do so in xterm.  less also uses the alternative buffer just like mc, but
> > > does not cause the pointer to change, so I guess it's not merely the terminal
> > > mode change that triggers this behaviour in Konsole and mate-terminal.

> This is what I wanted to say - GNOME Terminal, Konsole and others change
> the cursor to an arrow, but xTerm doesn't.

VTE (the actual terminal emulator for GNOME Terminal) has done that for quite
a while, anytime the application turns on the mouse-mode.  Likewise Konsole.
Which was first is hard to say...

That's unrelated to the alternate buffer.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey at invisible-island.net>
http://invisible-island.net