forum for Motif, XLib, etc. programming enthusiasts?

Alan Corey alan01346 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 14:06:52 UTC 2017

I have to admit I'd favor a modern forum to a mailing list.  A couple
months ago somebody on another list told me I wasn't quoting properly,
well, I'm using Gmail through the web interface.  It apparently
doesn't know how to do that.  And since Motif is GUI it would be handy
to be able to upload pictures like screenshots.

Of the forum software I see online regularly I think I like phpBB
about the best. https://www.phpbb.com/about/ It's GPL 2 and it's what
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/ uses.  There's also a
SimpleMachines one that isn't bad. like at https://bitcointalk.org/
Or http://www.simplemachines.org/, uses a MySQL database.

I'm retired, living the boonies connecting through a cell phone so no
static IP address.  I can't really host but I could be a moderator.  I
have free accounts at devio.us (OpenBSD based) and 1apps.com (Windows
based, apparently). 1apps gives an account 1 gig of free web space
without ads.  I've been on there about 5 years, and they were down for
most of a year at least a couple years ago.  They claim at
http://www.1apps.com/features_apps.aspx to have both SimpleMachines
and phpBB.  I think Motif could be set up with its own account so it
doesn't come out of my 1 gig.  I'm at http://ab1jx.1apps.com/ BTW.

Back to my original problem, I found that with an xmDrawingArea you
don't set height, you set XmMarginHeight.  I'd consider that
non-obvious, which is why I was looking for a forum or list where such
things were discussed.  Then I played a little with Glade and Cairo,
got it drawing a live spectrum captured from a dongle, but I'm not
sure how to redraw with the next set of data.  Cairo is more of a
swiss army knife than I need and I'm not sure it's going to be fast
enough.  I'd settle for a frame buffer in a widget, so I was looking
at QT.