forum for Motif, XLib, etc. programming enthusiasts?

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Wed Oct 25 15:19:31 UTC 2017

Am 25.10.2017 01:20, schrieb Alan Corey:
> Yes, I've played in Glade a little, wasn't crazy about it.  And GTK3
> looks awful, just the amount of text for a hello world program.
>
> I wanted to use Motif but support for it is vanishing it seems.
> Athena, I hate the scrollbars.  What I want to work at is an SDR
> (Software Defined Radio) program so the more efficiently it can update
> the spectrum area the better.  It's almost like video, people use 2 -
> 30 frames per second, meanwhile getting data in over USB and doing an
> FFT on it, plus demodulating in different threads.  In real time.
>
> I'm not seeing a widget in GTK that draws that efficiently.  QT can do
> it, or Java Swing, or even just plain old bare XLIB, except I wanted
> some widgets.  I was hoping to use a Motif DrawingArea.  There isn't
> room for a lot of bloat between the code and the screen.  XDrawLine is
> fast enough.

sorry, no DrawingArea is very comparable slow.
Compared to others XT is surprisingly effectiv. I do a lot remote stuff
and software is often only usable only with helps like NX while older
Programms often need nothing additional. NTL i found the most effective
way in XT is to make widget, what requires some work in the beginning
but after that things getting more easy.

Contact me if you are interested in Motif and so on.

re,
 wh