Dual monitor problem

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Mon Apr 9 10:32:54 UTC 2018

On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 04:13:48PM -0500, Leslie Katz wrote:
> I have a laptop that I usually connect to an external monitor. I use Ubuntu
> 16.04 and Gnome 3.18.5. When I do connect to the external monitor, I like to
> turn the laptop screen off. I can do that by going to System Settings,
> Screen Display, selecting the built-in display and then clicking "off". I'd
> like to automate the process.

GNOME should already automate that.  It remembers your settings for each
set of connected monitor configurations, and when you plug in or unplug
a monitor, it restores them.

The configurations themselves are stored in ~/.config/monitors.xml.  The
process responsible for applying them on hotplug/unplug events is
gnome-settings-daemon.  (Ubuntu might have a unity-settings-daemon which
is a fork of an older version of gnome-settings-daemon, but it does the
same thing.)

There's a way to turn that autoconfiguration off, which might explain
why it's not happening for you.  It's a setting somewhere in
dconf/gsettings, but I don't remember exactly where.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.