Unsupported locale errors in XOrg

Ilya Anfimov ilan at tzirechnoy.com
Tue Apr 10 07:54:37 UTC 2018

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 02:17:13AM +0800, Prashanth Chandra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm getting "unsupported locale" warnings and crashes when running
> programs such as xterm or dmenu on a clean install of Ubuntu 17.10
>
> Examples:
> warning: no locale support
> Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
>
> Here's the offending line from dmenu's source code:
>
> if (!setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "") || !XSupportsLocale())
> fputs("warning: no locale support\n", stderr);
>
> I'm not 100% sure but I was told that this looks like an issue in XOrg.
> Additionally, the problem disappears if I change my default locale to
> en_US.UTF-8 instead of en_HK.UTF-8, which suggests that the issue is
> specific to my locale.
>
> Here's the output of running locale:
>
> LANG=en_HK.UTF-8
> LANGUAGE=en
> LC_CTYPE="en_HK.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_HK.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_HK.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_HK.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_HK.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_HK.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="en_HK.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_HK.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_HK.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_HK.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_HK.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_HK.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=
>
> Here's the output of running locale -a:

> C.UTF-8
> en_HK.utf8
> en_US.utf8
> POSIX
>
> Would appreciate any pointers in understanding this issue.

 1) You could try to change environment to en_HK.utf8
 The name is obviously different from en_HK.UTF-8, hoever,
this difference should give other diagnostic message.
 But you can try, it is simple.
 2) If not, check all places:
  /usr/share/X11/locale.dir
   should contain a line
en_US.UTF-8/XLC_LOCALE:                 en_HK.UTF-8
  /usr/share/X11/locale.alias
   shouldn't contain a line beginning with en_HK.UTF-8:
  /etc/locale.gen
  should have uncommented (i.e. without hash mark at the beginning) line
  en_HK.UTF-8 UTF-8
  and /etc/locale.alias shouldn't contain a line beginning with en_HK.UTF-8