arm64 aka rock64, x fails on stretch

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Apr 25 08:04:14 UTC 2018

On Tuesday 24 April 2018 22:24:06 Alan Corey wrote:

> Don't know anything about that but on a Pi at least configuration
> files that get replaced in upgrades end up in ~/oldconffiles
>
> And I just got Valgrind working on a pi by building from source, never
> seen it work before.  Source later than about June 2017 handles Linux
> ARM better.  http://www.valgrind.org
>
> Do you have a video driver to suit your video output that X gets along
> with?  If you have a VNC server on there, is that normal?  That sort
> of does a mockup of X on a screen, but has its own drivers.

This kernel claims to have the mali video support in it.

> And try apropos drm about the first error.  That's Direct Rendering
> Manager.  Also there's an error drmSetMaster failed: Invalid argument
> that's related.  Seems like you should have a VESA driver or something
> as a backup.  I think a different kernel config might knock that out.
> I had a devil of a time with my hp which is nvidia.
>
> On 4/24/18, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
> > But its ayufan's latest kernel,
> >
> > It makes it, after pressing enter, to a black screen with a blinking
> > underline curser, but doesn't start x. Both task xfce4 and just now,
> > LDXE have been installed.

And I have since come to the conclusion that it never changes to vt7. If,
at the point it reaches the black screen, first with a few odd blinks to
the cursor, which eventually settles into a 1 second steady blink, but I
then do something like plugging in a usb thing, the logging is spit out
on this screen. This includes the buttons for the wireless keyboard and
wireless mouse. But the keyboard/mouse aren't able to elicit any
response from the system.

At this point, I'm going to take the Xorg.0.log to the Xorg mailing list
for their perusal.

To the xorg list, this is a rockchip rock64, with 4GB of dram, and x is
not starting at boot time. Onboard Mali gfx just now being brought to
life, its been running on an fb till now.

> > The Xorg.0.log says no screens found. Monitor's native is 1366x768,
> > and at one point a week back it was running, poorly, fuzzy etc at
> > 1200xsomething.

From the most recent reboot after installing LXDE, Xorg.0.log is
attached.

But still trying to bring up xfce4.

Please see the attached log, and tell me what I need next.

And thank you.
--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)