how do you use x from the terminal

Dave Smith dsmith69 at seznam.cz
Wed Aug 29 21:04:37 UTC 2018

I tried startx and it works but how do you start the server and clients
separately just using the shell. Why was x dying on me when I tried.

Dave

---------- Původní e-mail ----------
Od: Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as>
Komu: xorg at lists.x.org
Datum: 27. 8. 2018 8:29:23
Předmět: Re: how do you use x from the terminal
"On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 12:01:30AM +0200, Dave Smith wrote:
> I ran the server
>
> $ Xorg
>
> and then
>
> $ DISPLAY=:0 %client%
>
> It seemed to work but not really. Either my screen ended up freezing and I
had
> to press the power button or the server terminated with a fatal error,
EXA:
> malloc failed ..

Traditionally we'd run `startx`, which is a shell script that starts
both the X server (with the appropriate command-line options) and some
necessary-for-good-life X clients (such as the window manager).

Marius Gedminas
--
I read I forget; I see I remember; I teach I understand.