xorg-server-1.20: Hard X freeze on startx

Piotr Karbowski piotr.karbowski at protonmail.ch
Thu Jun 14 20:31:06 UTC 2018

Hi.

I have issue with xorg-server-1.20. I am running X on a Intel Skylake cpu with the default modesetting driver. When I do `startx` my screen turns black, I see gray underscore in top left corner, but the underscore is not blinking, and no window manager start.

I used sysrq to sync filesystem and reboot, but nothing special in Xorg.0.log.

Downgrade to xorg-server-1.19 fixes it for me. It seems I am not the only one facing issue like that, at least another Gentoo user have the same issue.

Any idea how can I debug it?

-- Piotr.

​​