xrandr brightness settings permanent

Riccardo Berto riccardo at rcrdbrt.com
Fri Nov 16 16:25:00 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-15 08:25, Michal Srb wrote:
> On středa 14. listopadu 2018 21:22:28 CET Riccardo Berto wrote:
>> Thanks for the answer.
>> No, I don't use redshift. As far as I know, it can only happen twice
>> during each Xorg start up. After these 2 times and me readjusting the
>> backlight manually with the xrandr command previously posted, it stays
>> that way even for a week of continued usage. It has done that for
>> years.
>> In the meantime I changed browsers, usage habits, Xorgs versions, PCs,
>> GPUs, drivers, ...
>> I have a keyboard shortcut with that xrandr command saved for this
>> exact
>> reason as I have to execute it up to 3 times during each session. I
>> finally decided to go public with this issue as I can hardly bare the
>> default minimum brightness of my "new" subpar screen.
>
> What desktop environment are you using? I know that at least KDE/Plasma
> has
> its own configuration for gamma and will apply it itself on start.
>
> Michal

I'm using Gnome 3.30.

I provide you with an example so it's more clear (I hope):
I just booted and logged in. I execute the xrandr command once to lower
the insane brightness level. I open nautilus (file manager), try to
trash some file by selecting it and pressing the DELETE button --> Xorg
resets the gamma settings to the default value. The only thing that
appeared on the screen that may have caused this is the "_filename_ was
moved to trash" greyish notification on the top side of the window, near
the title bar of nautilus. Nothing changed in the system except for that
notification and the file that is now in the trash. This behavior is
reproducible 100% of the times, after a boot.
I then execute the xrandr command to lower the brightness level as it
was reseted. If I trash something else, even with that notification
popping up, it won't reset again unless I reboot. I'm now in the middle
state of this weird behavior. I'm sure that it will resets again somehow
and if I lower the gamma with that xrandr command for the third time, it
won't reset by itself ever again until the next boot.